Friday, October 12, 2012

Gimme Gimme More, Gimme More, Singapore

Did you sing the title? I don’t know why a Britney Spears song came into my head. It might be that karaoke last night, but for now more on Singapore!
I really had thought that Singapore was much larger. Maps can be deceiving. I did a few more activities and visited a few more sights on my trip.

Stop 1: The Merlion!


The one I visited in Sentosa wasn’t the real deal. That was more of an attraction telling you a little bit about Singapore and how the Merlion became their National Symbol. Singapore was named after Sang Nila Utama who had landed on the island after a shipwreck. He saw a lion and named the island Singapora, which means “Lion City”. In the 1960s, the Merlion was created to represent Singapore’s beginnings as a fishing village. (Learn more about Merlion origins.)
The Merlion was really beautiful! It was cool that it actually had water splashing out of its mouth.

I get to drink from the Merlion!

Stop 2: Wonder Full (show at the Marina Bay Sands Event Plaza)


I researched a little and found out about this show. This show isn’t exactly advertised in the area and it can be easily glance over in Singapore guidebooks. My mom and I sat in the designated area for the show. The Event Plaza is an extravagant name for large steps off the shore. At night, it feels like a deck along the beach shore (although there is no beach). The epic, dramatic music starts and fog is released from the light panels on the right and left side.

Bubbles coming from the sides

It really felt like I was in some kind of 4D outside theatre. The show really surprised me! I was just expecting some lights and water splashing, but it was definitely a beautiful show! I would describe it as a heartwarming, beautiful light and water show. It makes the Bellagio water show in Los Vegas look like nothing!


Stop 3: Singapore Zoo
This zoo was unlike any other zoo that I had been to. Findout more on my trip to the zoo.

Stop 4: Chinatown
At first, Singapore’s Chinatown didn’t seem that big. Once you start walking around it definitely felt as big as San Francisco’s Chinatown. Find out more on my trip to Chinatown.


Stop 5: Gardens By the Bay
This garden is MAGNIFICENT! It is so beautiful! I don’t know if it’s true, but I did hear they are still making the garden bigger. People say that it is worth going now since there is a lot to see. I underestimated how much “a lot” was. Find out more on my trip to Gardens By the Bay.



**Stay tuned for Japan**

No comments:

Post a Comment