Friday, October 12, 2012

Gardens By the Bay


I spotted the Gardens By the Bay right away. At first glance from afar I wasn’t really sure what to think. I saw the big trees, but I wasn’t sure what it was. When I found out it was a garden and started to read some things about it, I was amazed. This garden is HUGE! I thought my mom and I would only spend a few hours there, but I was in for a surprise. We had practically spent the whole day there. I was even more surprised of all the different plants they had. I also got to learn a lot about the habitats these plants are in and how they adapt to each habitat.

Gardens by the Bay

My mom and I were lucky to get free tickets from my dad’s co-worker to go into the two domes: Flower Dome and Cloud Forest Dome. It was great inside the domes with air conditioning! 


Inside the Flower Dome

I got to enjoy looking at all the flowers, plants, and trees without dying outside in the heat. I particularly liked the Bottle Trees. It wasn’t like any tree I had ever seen before. The Argentinian Palo Borracho (a particular bottle tree) grows fruits that cotton is collected from. The tree’s huge roundish trunks make them quite interesting the look at. Then there is the Desert Rose tree (or plant?). I’ve never seen a plant or tree quite like this one. It was beautiful. It was interesting that the flowers on this plant blooms during the winter or spring on desert grounds.

Lets take a closer look!


Argentinian Palo Borracho

Desert Rose

The Bushfires were really interesting to read about. These plants adapt to fire. I was so amazed! The Bushfires’ barks are fire-resistant and part of the plant develops into shoots. This was only half of the dome. There was tons more! There were different sections where different kinds of trees and plants of that area were planted. Then when you get near the end, there is a huge seasonal floral display! It was decorated for Halloween!

Bushfires
That’s it for the Flower Dome. Next, we went to the Cloud Dome.





Work time for employees

That was quite a sight from the very beginning. We walked in to see a huge waterfall. Then we continued to walk and took an elevator all the way up the huge plant structure.

The Falls

The first stop was the Lost World. Next, we took a stroll on the Cloud Walk. Then we saw The Falls from inside the structure. Next, we glanced through Crystal Mountain. Second to last, we walked along the Tree Top Walk. Lastly, we strolled through the Secret Garden. Throughout the whole walk, I read a lot about the rare plants and about how their environment is disappearing quickly. It was really great to learn about.

The Lost World


Cloud Walk


Crystal Mountain
Tree Top

Secret Garden

It was crazy how time flew by! We were practically there the whole day. I was so amazed when I looked down at my watch. I thought, “Woh! We were there for 5 hours?!”

No comments:

Post a Comment