Friday, May 9, 2014

World Voyage 2014 - The Print Shop

I started my World Voyage meeting the ship in Sydney, Australia. On my arrival to the gangway of the Queen Mary 2, I find out that my name is not on the joiners list. Oops! I wait a few hours for the crew office to work it's magic. There was no way the ship would leave without a Chief Printer onboard. I think they would go a little crazy. Justin and I do handover outside in beautiful Sydney and I board the ship immediately starting work. 
I was going into a print shop with a finisher down on the Vario (black and white printer) and the 6010 (color printer) printing like a champ. It definitely was pretty good news. I would go into work starting with tech duties, then print operator duties, and then management work. 
A couple weeks pass by and I couldn't wrap my head around that finisher. Next thing I know, the Magenta stops printer on the 6010 and I turn into a butter fingers. Work seizes on the finisher and the attention soley goes to the 6010 and it's processing units. 
Good news is a few days later I get the Magenta back. In other news, the Yellow stops printing. It stumps me quite a lot. Half way through March and we're still printing on the Vario with a box as our "finisher". Things were not looking up yet.
I continue to email back and forth which everyone I know to help me out with the 6010. Then down goes the Vario. After a panic, a break down, and keeping me from going insane, I finally crack the problem on the 6010. The next step was to try and get the Vario up and running with out replacing the part it wants. 
I'm sure you're wondering, "What does a print shop do without it's only two working printers?"
The purser's help us print the programme in it's back office, while I continuously work to get the printers working again. 

Next arrives Justin Phillips in Kota Kinabalu to save the day by hand delivering parts that we need to fix both machines! Hooray! The week he stayed on was actually the first time I had an actual conversation with the guy.

Both printers are up and running, which means that freedom is shortly around the corner. Before freedom comes, there is a lot of catching up on work and getting reacquainted with my manager role. 
Oh and of course I can also refamiliarize myself with my nice comfy bed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment